Old or cheap ignition system components and improper plug gap are the most common causes of misfires and poor running conditions for the 2.3 turbo engine. We've seen a ton of issues with cheaper brands that don't exist with genuine Motorcraft ignition components. Fix or prevent these problems by investing in this kit utilizing the OEM parts designed specifically for these engines.
Cap + Rotor:
Motorcraft Distributor Caps feature high-density phenolic or polyester plastic construction with high resistance to keep high voltage from making contact and causing misfire. Turbo applications put extra stress on the ignition system so trying to save a few dollars on some no-name cap and rotor is a recipe for misfires.
Two rotor designs were used in these applications. The early umbrella style was used in most applications until 85 or 86. The standard rotor was used starting in 85 or 86 depending on the application.
Check the fitment guides below for general information. Due to the early and late style distributors being interchangeable, it's best to pull the cap and verify which style your application uses before ordering.
These are the only plugs we suggest for 2.3 turbo applications running stock TFI ignition. We've seen people have issues with other brands, as well as non-copper plugs (platinum, iridium, etc.) but these tried and true copper plugs just flat out work. No reason to spend big money on the "fancy" plugs when they will work no better (or in many cases will be much worse) than what Ford spec'd as the OEM plug for these engines.
These come factory gapped to .034". We suggest .028" gap for 15-22psi and .024" gap for 23+psi (race gas only). If you want us to gap them for you before shipment, the option is available below. Fits many other applications, see fitment guide below.
These are the only plug wires we suggest for 2.3 turbo applications running stock TFI ignition. We've seen people have issues with other brands often enough that it's just not worth risking it to save a few dollars. These tried and true OEM Ford plug wires just flat out work. No reason to spend big money on the "fancy" plug wires when they will work no better (or in many cases will be much worse) than what Ford spec'd as the OEM plug for these engines.
Why Buy Motorcraft?
- The only parts recommended by Ford Motor Company for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.
- Motorcraft and Ford Parts are used throughout Ford vehicles in a variety of applications that help ensure the proper build quality, integrity and long-lasting performance of every Ford car or truck.
- Motorcraft and Ford Parts are manufactured from first-quality materials - chosen specifically for maximum performance and application suitability.
- As with all Motorcraft and Ford Parts, any innovations or improvements developed since the vehicle's manufacture are included in these after market replacement parts, ensuring the most current technology and performance.
- Manufactured from high quality materials chosen specifically for maximum performance and application suitability
- Motorcraft Ignition components must endure a series of punishing tests to ensure they meet strict Ford OE quality, performance and durability standards, including Key Life testing to the equivalent of 10-years/150,000 miles.
Manufactured to exacting Ford OE specifications and quality standards
- Distributor Cap
- Rotor (Standard or Umbrella)
- Spark Plug Wire Set
- Spark Plugs x4 (Pre-Gapped Optional)
Fitment Guide (Cap w/Standard Rotor):
FORD AEROSTAR 1986-1987
FORD MUSTANG 1986-1990
FORD MUSTANG SVO 1985-1986
FORD RANGER 1986-1988
FORD THUNDERBIRD 1985-1988
MERCURY CAPRI 1986
MERCURY COUGAR 1985-1986
MERCURY MARQUIS 1985-1986
MERKUR XR4TI 1985-1989
Fitment Guide (Cap w/Umbrella Rotor):
FORD AEROSTAR 1986
FORD MUSTANG 1983-1985
FORD MUSTANG SVO 1984-1985
FORD RANGER 1983-1985
FORD THUNDERBIRD 1983-1985
MERCURY CAPRI 1983-1986
MERCURY COUGAR 1984-1985
MERCURY MARQUIS 1984-1985
Tune-Up Kit | Motorcraft | Ignition | 2.3 | Turbo
- Brand: Stinger Performance Engineering
- Product Code: 2.3TuneUpKit
- Availability: 10